Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Aug 17, 2006

More Coiled Spinning

Many months ago, I started saving every wee bit of yarn snipped or left over from a project. On the table by the Big Chair I have a small plastic container that used to hold the Best Chocolate Pudding Ever ( Kozee Shak Pudding, awful name but great all-natural comfort pudding. ) Into it, I put every little scrap of yarn. When it gets full, I put the scraps in a plastic bag, and I now have a darned good yarn scrap stash going:
I had no idea what I'd ever do with this, but it seemed like a good idea.
Well. It was.
Labor-intensive, but very cool crazy yarn emerges when you spin a singles of multi-colored roving with the scraps tucked in:


Spin that cool crazy yarn as a supercoil and you get cool extra-crazy yarn:Next post, I hope to share a couple of things I've made with the crazy yarns.

Grief and Loss notes:
Ever since I wrote the poem about the Supermarket for the Bereaved, I've been thinking a lot about how our culture no longer seems to have mourning rituals and symbols that sustain the bereaved beyond the initial time of loss and a short period after.

No one has been deliberately callous or unkind, but I also think that people do not realize that Paul and I are still deeply bereaved and in mourning over the loss of our son. It seems to me that it would be easier if we had visual ways to let people know.
We are working consciously to keep moving forward through our loss, but we are still so wounded, experiencing enormous pain at times. If our wounds were visible physical injuries, people would know better how it is with us. It's not unhealthy or self-indulgent to consider that wearing special clothing or symbols might be a good thing.

And so lately, I am thinking of black and purple armbands, then imagining snuggling into a dark cape like a bat's wings with deep purple velvet lining. And cocoons. And nests.
And I got Molly to do our grocery shopping yesterday.....
peace, bright blessings,
'zann

1 Comments:

At 9/5/06, 2:44 PM, Blogger Peacock said...

In the Victorian era, mourning clothes were worn for a year following a loss.. the approved colours for mourning being black and grey and sometimes a mauve or lilac purple--dusky and greyish.

The primary fault to the approach of the Victorians that I can see, is that there was a huge stigma if you abandoned your mourning cloths too early, and that there were intensive restrictions on your behaviour (especially women) while you were in your mourning period.

Still, I think you are right--we need garments of transition in this culture!

Remind me some time to tell you of my thesis piece for my BFA-- a "divorce cloak" and my thoughts behind it.

Hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home