Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Aug 4, 2015

Midnight Riff and Maysville carpet warp

Finished Midnight Riff with long braided and knotted fringe and hung it from a gathered stick which I sanded and polished with beeswax polish. The 'stick practice' is something I do as a conscious, spiritual practice and I should perhaps do a post about that one of these days.

MIdnight Riff was woven on a 10" Cricket loom, dressed using mostly Maysville cotton rug warp. I love that cotton. It is unmercerized and isn't a fine yarn at 1680 ypp  (size 8/4), but it comes in a nice lot of colors and it's sold on small 800-yd. tubes at $8-9 each, rather than pound cones at $18-24. A stash of these doesn't require a lot of space to store either. I keep more than 20 in a drawer (I lucked out in getting a large number of these at a yard sale!)

Labels: , , ,

Jul 31, 2015

Midnight riff

Warped my 10" Cricket, too. Another direct warp done on my laundry room table. About 4 yards. Thought I would just do some quick small pieces.
This one, to start.
Calling it Midnight Riff.

Labels: , ,

Jul 29, 2015

Direct Warp Using Warp Board

Yesterday I tried something I've been thnking about since I put 18 feet of warp on my 10" Cricket rigid heddle a month ago.

 I love direct warping, but it has always been difficult for me due to the space needed. I've had to take over my dining table and the length of my living room, creating a blockade for however long it took me to walk threads 80-100 times from loom to the warping peg. Limbo skills were required to get to the bathroom.

I realized that I should be able to set up the warping board (mine is good for up to 10 yards) so that the footprint required would be much smaller for direct warping of a very long warp.

The experiment was a success! I can now warp using only the table in my basement laundry room right next to my studio space. No more trudging upstairs, shlepping an extra table, loom, cones of yarn. No more blocking living space and feeling I had to hurry to wind that warp. I can now pause when I need a break.   Behold:

Saori weavers call these 'fingers' or tabs. It's a little fiddly and slow, but I love beginning a weaving this way and I love that it makes use of what is often waste yarn.

Labels: , ,

Jul 28, 2015

I need to remember this everywhere

 “One of the things I know about writing is this: spend it all, shoot it, play it, lose it, all, right away, every time. Do not hoard what seems good for a later place in the book or for another book; give it, give it all, give it now. The impulse to save something good for a better place later is the signal to spend it now. Something more will arise for later, something better. These things fill from behind, from beneath, like well water. Similarly, the impulse to keep to yourself what you have learned is not only shameful, it is destructive. Anything you do not give freely and abundantly becomes lost to you. You open your safe and find ashes.”
― Annie Dillard, The Writing Life

I need to remember this everywhere - in all my creative work.  I need to use those hoarded phrases, that holy idea, that spectacular yarn, that special fabric - now, in THIS project, not that future-that-never-comes project that is supposedly going to be worthy of such expenditures...

Jul 23, 2015

Weaving Bliss

 My life these days: writing in the morning, weaving in the afternoon. Sundays are for submitting my work to journals and contests. Simplifying. Also trying to make sense and productivity out of my wide range of creative interests.

Nicest spring and summer I've had since moving to Indiana 23 years ago. There was actually a spring, with many, many cool days and nights moving into moderate summery temperatures. Even on the days when we've had some heat, breezes have mitigated it.  It has been a horrible time for much of the country all around with flooding and heat. I am trying not to feel guilty at how much I am enjoying the weather here. I concentrate on being grateful.

And I'm outside on the back porch this week, weaving what is a very long (18 foot!!) warp that I managed to wind on to my little 10" Cricket loom. Outside in the warmth and birdsong and breeze. I've been listening to audiobooks. First, David Sedaris. Now I've just finished listening to Natalie Goldberg, a recording of a writers workshop she led in Taos.  It was wonderful hearing the participants read their work. There were moments that I felt that I was IN that class.

I'll be heading outside after I post this,  to continue this weaving, to take a break to write a little, to stop every so often and just be still.

Jul 15, 2015

Take Your Poet To Work Day

It's Take Your Poet To Work Day 2015, sponsored by TweetSpeak, a wonderful site for poetry & fun.

Sophia and I downloaded the free coloring book and had a good time.

I'm working on a contest submission today and I have a whole pitcher of poets hanging with me.

Tomorrow night will be Take Your Poet To An Open Mic!

Jun 13, 2015

I've been busy

I've been busy.
Spent 5 glorious days at the Indiana University Writers Conference and I've come back full of creative impulse. Oddly enough, I'm not writing a lot, but have been weaving like crazy, pulling out old bits 'n' pieces, trying to finish some things.

Here's one:

Third Eye (2015) Cotton, wool & silk, copper wire, found branch, beeswax polish, crocheted, wired.