Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Jul 25, 2006

Freeform Cuff Bracelets (revised!)

Blogger is being fussy this morning and just won't upload my pics, though it did allow this one to get posted:

a freeform crochet cuff bracelet, done in Kureyon #188, with a little goddess dangle I'm using for the closure.
(More, when Blogger's little fit subsides.)

Later, 9:30 p.m. ---
Finally, I'm able to upload the other two pictures. Here are the five cuffs I made, all but the one shown above are done in Silk Garden.
I like using the Silk Garden for freeform, because I can get some color changes without changing colors!
I think this one is my favorite, both for the colors (Silk Garden #249) and for the stitches.
My basic way of making the cuffs was to start out with a circular spiraling motif (I'm not sure I can call it a scrumble since I didn't change any yarns) until it was as wide as I wanted it, then I started working back and forth rows until it was the length I needed. I used a 3.25 hook. I am really pleased with the textured effects I got.

On most all of my crochet, I use as the front side what most people would consider to be the back side. I didn't realize this until last summer when I actually picked up a crochet book and started trying to do a stitch as the book depicted. I discovered that I crochet backwards! By that I mean that I put my hook into the stitches from the back and pull a loop through from the front. I'm sure that must actually be a technique or stitch, but it is the way I've always crocheted.

At first I thought, "...omigoodness, I have to retrain myself." Then I thought, "...no I don't. I can crochet however I please. I just can't teach anyone else." So I continued to crochet in my way until I started to do freeform and wanted to increase my stitch repertoire (which consisted of sc, hdc, dc.) I discovered that if I wanted to do bullions, they need to be made by crocheting through the front, wrapping the yarn the opposite way I've done all these years.

It was a little awkward at first, but I'm happy to report that I can now crochet the "right way" and the "wrong way" at will, often getting just the effects I hope for, along with the occasional surprise that makes freeform work so intriguing and delightful.

3 Comments:

At 7/26/06, 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are AWESOME!!! I LOVE the colors - I LOVE the designs - they''re so very cool!

 
At 7/26/06, 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously! I have always admired freeform work, but never knew what I would do with it if I were to try my hand at it. Your cuff/bracelets are awesome, and inspiring!

 
At 7/28/06, 9:37 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Who makes up the "right " and "wrong " rules anyway? Looks good to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home