Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Jun 23, 2006

Tri-loom Weaving


As I wrote in my last entry, last weekend I took a half-day workshop in weaving on the tri-loom or triangle loom. The teacher, John, brought 12" practice looms he'd made and let us take them home for a couple of weeks.
So, here's the wicked little thing that's occupied my time and energy since then:
What is so great about the tri-loom is that you create both the warp and weft at the same time! As someone who loves weaving but loathes warping....well, that's a huge plus. I scurried home after the workshop and went a little nuts, trying out various yarns:

I fell in love with the triangles woven with my favorite color of Noro Iro (#61) :

I am going to attempt to put these together in a vest, one panel of which you see at the bottom. There are all sorts of ways to finish the edges of the triangles and put them together. For this project I am edging them all around in single crochet (in a green Cascade 220 Heather) and stitching them together with a single strand of yarn through both loops. If there's any filling-in to do I will do it in the green in knitted seed stitch, which I think goes well with the woven modules.

I like the practice loom, but will have to give it back in a week or so. I've got my own loom on order from Hazel Rose Looms though! I ordered the 14". As you can see, there are also square looms offered and I believe that you can also weave the same way on those, creating the warp as you work. As I've wandered around the internet looking for tri-loom information, I've also seen a very large rectangular loom offered.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of triangle looms! I think the most popular ones are probably the really big ones - 3 feet to 7 feet! A whole shawl can be woven in 8-10 hours.
(Spriggs 7-ft Adjustable Tri-Loom at The Woolery )

My personal interest is in the smaller, more portable looms. My generally short attention span and need for frequent color and activity changes is well-served by them. I can weave a triangle on the 12" loom in about 15 minutes, then I get to crochet for a little while, then I can sew a couple of triangles together.

I joined a Triloom YahooGroup. There's some good photo sets there, but you do have to be a member to see them.

Most of the women who took the Tri-loom workshop also want to have another workshop in rigid heddle loom weaving, so I'm looking forward to that. I have a Kromski Harp Loom still in the box after two years. What a purty loom - it will be great finally to assemble it and learn to use it!

And, um...well, then there's my LeClerc 4-harness Dorothy loom:This has been waiting patiently for my attention for even longer. I got my Dorothy from a friend whose mother was into weaving back in the 60s- 70s. I'm thinking that maybe my Warp-phobia might be conquered by gradually working my way to the LeClerc!


Of late, I've found myself having sustained periods of peace and calm. I suppose I am coming into an acceptance of Patrick's death, though it feels horrible in a way to write those words. I remember I wrote at the very beginning that our task was to bear the unbearable and accept the unacceptable.
I am so grateful though, for the calm, because in that calm and peace is where I also feel a pure, deep, absolute love and in that love Patrick is close as breath...
Namaste,
'zann

3 Comments:

At 6/25/06, 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That tri-loom looks very interesting! I also enjoyed the pics of the your other looms. The tri-loom looks like it has a lot of possibities for freedom and texture, such as your wonderful crochet hats.

 
At 6/26/06, 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Zann,

Thanks so much for sharing your triangle weavings with us (through your link to your blog) on the Freeform Crochet site. I recently bought a drop spindle and a friend gave me a quick spinning lesson and now I want to do weaving as well! You're a dangerous influence!

Now I may have to join a spinning/weaving guild to add to my art quilt group, my freeform group, my regular Stitch 'n Bitch group and even my Epiphylum Society (I know, that's flowers, but you've got to have some non-fiber friends!)...

I never thought I'd have the patience to warp a loom and weave, not to mention, work in a linear fashion, so the triangles really appeal to me. Maybe to mix in with some freeform...That would be a great geometric addition to add to the visual structure...

Kim

 
At 6/27/06, 9:22 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

Thanks! Very cool little things. Warping a loom isn't really all that hard ( she says looking back at 18 years experience) Right now I am putting a very difficult warp on my loom. And it is a pain, a bit of a mess, somewhat tangled, but not hard. It is a combination of two silk warps of different weights and a slubby rayon that has a different stretch to it. Should be interesting. I had a experienced teacher teaching me but I have heard many say that Deb Chandler’s Learning to Weave is an excellent book for beginner weavers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home