Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Nov 17, 2009

Weaving - Saori Inspiration


A couple of weeks ago, I became so inspired by my discovery of Saori weaving (an intuitive, Zen, free weaving initiative originating in Japan) that I somehow overcame my warp aversion and dressed my Ashford 12" Knitters Loom.  And enjoyed it!

The picture above is the momentous moment of cutting that warp from the loom after I finished my first piece.  And here it is.


What a revelation, what a joy to weave without a chart, a plan, any goal other than to play with color and line and texture.  To be finished when it felt finished.
Warp: 3/2 mercerized cotton, 10 dent rigid heddle.
Weft: hand-dyed thick/thin cotton, handspun wool, silk, various other wools



detail of a favorite part - this is handspun from some hand-dyed Winderwood Farm wool.


another favorite part - a thick/thin silk from Habu Textiles

Do a search on "saori weaving" if you're interested in learning more. There are so many interesting tidbits here and there I didn't want to link to just one.

Blissfully weaving, more to come...
Zann

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11/17/09, 8:23 PM, Blogger saoriweaver said...

How wonderful to read about - and see - your discovery of Saori Weaving!

Hope you continue to have fun exploring...

Happy Weaving,
Terri

 
At 11/18/09, 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! This is beautiful! I can't believe it's your first piece. I really love the "freedom" of this piece...makes me want to try some saori with my knitters loom...before I have to return it to the generous person I borrowed it from.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home