Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Oct 31, 2009

New Work, UFOs

I've started a series of new scarves made with small triangles, joined asymmetrically with freeform crochet.

.
For this one, I used some 2-ply handspun dyed by Bob of Winderwood Farm. For the edging and freeform joins, I used a beautiful semi-solid green Shibui sock yarn.




This is Noro Silk Garden Lite in a colorway that is inspiring me to create another series, unified by color and texture, called Shaman's Stone. For edging and connecting, I've used a beautiful Shibui colorway called "Honey," and some Dream In Color laceweight in Cocoa Kiss. I also experimented with some freeform knitting.


Here are two more, drying after I fulled them. The one on the left is in Noro Chirimen, edged with some 2-ply handspun in natural gray, along with a blue/grey variegated in Kureopatora, which was in my stash. It's a discontinued yarn that I believe was a Noro line. However, mine (which I picked up years ago at a knit shop going-out-of-business sale) is only identified as a "Knitting Fever" brand yarn.

The scarf on the right is my 2-ply handspun (not sure where the hand-dyed fiber came  from...) which I edged with purple Louet Gems.



I am doing a lot of weaving lately - more triangles and small squares for scarves and wraps I'm envisioning. Best of all, I'm finally working on my Ashford rigid heddle Knitters Loom!!  That deserves a post of its own. So that's all I'm saying about it right now.


On the Needle Harvest front - I think I located almost all my unfinished objects.
Thirty-seven. Yup.  And I'm actually relieved. Kiki had forty-eight!
I was surprised by a a few things:

- how resonant these projects are with the times and circumstances of when they were begun and worked on. My oldest UFOs go back to the very difficult times in 2004, and just looking at them took me to places that make tears spring to my eyes.

- how far along these projects were when they were abandoned.  There is a shawl (this is one that fairly thunders with the 2004 energy) which just needs some ends woven in and blocking. There is an Einstein coat that just needs sleeves.

- how there aren't that many needles to harvest. There are, however, lots of Denise cords & stoppers.

- how I don't have any patterns or notes with the projects, and have to guess at what size needles I was using.

- how few sock UFO's I have.

- how relatively organized my UFOs are.



 I found some in a  bin in the back of the closet in my workroom.


 I'm really excited to see the Jane Thornley Scotian Meadow Wrap again (up there in the right hand corner.) That may be the UFO I select to finish first.


The others were upstairs in the half of my spiritual room I devoted to crafts before getting the workroom when Patrick moved out.  In all cases, upstairs & down, projects were neatly packed in a zip-lock bag. Upstairs, I even had them divided up into plastic baskets by project type/size.

And never mind about any drastic changes to the look of my blog - I tried the newer template thingy and didn't much like it.  I did, however, change to their newer post-creating option. I do like that, especially working with images.

Finally, a Blessed Samhain to all who celebrate this festival on the Wheel of the Year, honoring Beloved Dead, letting go of the old year and welcoming the new.
Zann

3 Comments:

At 10/31/09, 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those triangle scarves are gorgeous - they look as though they drape beautifully. I was lucky enough to borrow a friends knitter's loom recently, so am trying my hand at weaving too - yours looks lovely.

 
At 10/31/09, 8:18 PM, Blogger 'Zann said...

Thank you! They do drape beautifully, and can be arranged different ways,pulling ends through holes, etc. Very sculptural.
Hope you find as much joy in weaving as I have!

 
At 11/9/09, 6:12 PM, Blogger Hilary said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for all your kind comments.
I would love to donate a rug to your funding efforts. Email me at ragrugs@crazyasaloom.com
Love your work, too....it is awesome......and am wild about the scarf!!! Wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home