Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Nov 3, 2007

Clapotis! Clapotii???

Finished the Found Clapotis (#2) and made another (#3) and have started one more (#4)...

Here's #2:

The details:
Pattern: Clapotis by Kate Gilbert, free at Knitty.com
Yarn: Silk Garden #87 (almost 7 balls)
Needles: Denise circulars Size 9

I followed the pattern exactly in number of stitches and pattern repeats. And it makes a lovely sized wrap. I love the way that, in wearing it as a wrap, each side also falls with the pattern lines running in different directions, a very nice recapitulation of the clapotis effect.

I wore this to a meditation/spirituality conference last weekend and it was cold in the facility, but I felt cosy and warm and spiritual. Well, in a rather lively way. People kept coming up to me to comment on clapotis and I saw again how knitting is as good as a baby or dog for meeting people. And no diapers or feeding required, though knitting (mine anyway) does require the lugging about of much Stuff.

Clapotis #3:

Details:
Pattern: Added one pattern repeat
Yarn: Claudia's Handpaint Sock yarn (5 balls and just made it to the end with maybe 3 yards to spare)
Needles: Denise circular #7

Really enjoyed knitting this - I know some people have found Clapotis to be somewhat monotonous, but I love knitting-as-meditation, and I find this pattern perfect....repetitious, rhythmical, and just enough pattern to maintain mindfulness instead of inducing sleep, but not enough pattern to require forehead-scrunching concentration.

I had some trepidation about doing such a big project in sock yarn, but it was fun and the end result, light and very soft, well worth worth it. I haven't blocked either one of these clapotis, but I may do so with the Claudia's.

And now you must go to one of my favorite places to send Clapotis People or potential Clapotis People .... a poem about Clapotis based on the Wallace Stevens poem "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird" -- you can read both! And there's pictures! As a poet who knits, I am both filled with joy and envy at author Cari's cleverness.
Namaste,
Zann

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home