Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Jul 11, 2007

Shawl, Morning Glories & Marigolds



This shawl's name was inspired by the colors I worked with. Colors most true in the second photograph. It's a shawl that sits wonderfully on the shoulders and is rather cape-like. And light as a summer breeze, as it's made of silk, cotton and soy silk.

Started it with a triangle in Rowan Summer Tweed (silk & cotton) woven on my Hazel Rose 12". Picked up stitches and knitted from there, bands of SWTC Oasis soy silk in random lace, a different color of the Rowan, more random lace, some seed stitch, but mostly stockinette. Edged in crochet with the soy silk and I did some subtle embellishment with a dark green pearl cotton (3/2, I think) around the triangle and along the front and neck edges.

The bottom cast-off edge was an unvented* edging of my own. First, I cast off by crocheting - a double crochet in each live knit stitch with a chain 1 between. This edging was too light to not curl under, so I unvented another edging which I will attempt to explain:
* [slip stitch, chain 4, slip stitch in 2nd chain , slip stitch in same stitch as first slip stitch] picot (?) made, then slip stitch in next stitch* Repeat to end of edge.

This edging proved perfect to weight the shawl and keep from curling under.

*unvented -- Unventing is an Elizabeth Zimmerman word, coined to describe something you've thought of on your own but are sure that somewhere, sometime, someplace...your brilliant idea has also been thought of by someone or many someone elses.

Namaste,
'Zann

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 7/11/07, 8:37 PM, Blogger Tangled Stitch said...

Your work is really beautiful. I'm a member of the FFCrochet Newsgroup and very glad I followed the link. I love the colors and your hat is my favorite. Keep posting your work it's inspirational. Debbie

 
At 8/22/07, 8:04 PM, Blogger Peacock said...

Oh I LOVE this shawl!! the shaping is exquisite, and the colors really enhance the shaping. :)

 
At 9/17/07, 2:39 PM, Blogger Aurora said...

I love this shawl--both the color pallete and the shawl's design! lovely....did you make up this pattern?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home