Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Jan 13, 2007

Freeform Octopus Scarves

I was awfully ill over the holidays - a relatively minor cold, but even the minor ones necessitate full on asthma management strategies, so the minor doesn't become major. I did little but lie about, read, eat soup and drink water...and yet I seem to have been continually crocheting for I came up with these rather fun and interesting scarves.

I call them the Octopus Scarves because they end in 8 dangling tentacles....each can be worn three ways.



The yarns I used for this first one are Noro Kujaku #22, and a variegated Jojoland sock yarn in purples and blues, used double. I made crocheted cords from the Kujaku and then joined them with freeform crochet. I don't use a lot of different stitches in my freeform, primarily chain, sc, slip stitch and hdc. The freeforming comes into play mostly in shifts of direction and where I choose to place the hook.

In the next scarf, I used Noro Kureyon for my cords and filled in between them with another sock yarn Trekking XXL, again used double.

Finally, I had leftovers, so I made a Quartopus Scarf:
These scarves, along with the Forest Floor Shawl (which is coming close to completion) have moved me closer to realizing some of my aesthetic vision. This is a point where I have to push myself to keep going and exploring...in the past, at such points, I often backed off. Why? Who knows...fear of something, I suppose.
Well, la-di-da, la-di-da...enough of that arty-speak.
Namaste,
Zann

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1/14/07, 8:13 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

very cool! I love this freeform stuff that you are doing. I am such a by the rules sort of person that I have a hard time going freeform. But it looks like such fun that I may some day give it a try.

 
At 1/14/07, 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zann, your octopus scarves are absolutely FABULOUS! Love them! Congratulations, you have done it again! hugs and blessings, Noreen

 
At 1/16/07, 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this whole freeform journey. Wonderful creations, wonderful creativity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home