Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Feb 8, 2006

Spinning, lizards, planning

Just finished this skein of wool/mohair (all fiber in this entry dyed at Winderwood Farm):


and now I'm starting to spin this merino/silk blend:

First time I'm doing any spinning with silk. These colors are just so lovely, it's a visual delight to contemplate while spinning. I have 8 oz. of this and am thinking I'll make a scarf. I once read that spinning should be project-driven, that you should decide just what you want to do with the yarn first, what pattern and needles, then spin. I have never done that in all these years of spinning. I just spin and stash and then one day want to make a hat and go browsing in the bins...so spinning and even just being pretty sure I'll make a scarf is also a first for me.

Yet another first for me! Silk hankies:


I'm not even quite sure how to work with this fiber in this form, but I couldn't resist when I saw Bob offering them in his eBay store. I think you create a yarn of sorts from this by hand, pulling at a corner of one of the hankies and attenuating it. I know somewhere I have some instructions and I'm sure I can find something online.

Yesterday I wandered into Waldenbooks at the mall while waiting for my son and they were having a sale on calendars and datebooks and planners - $1 each! At that price, I could afford to buy some $16 calendars just for the pictures. One of the calendars I got had lizards in leaves!



and I couldn't resist these little datebooks:

I'm going to use these as project planners, I think. The black-and-white one is already designated for my big decluttering journey.

It's been sunny here for the last few days - I don't know if that is why my mood has improved so much or if it is because I feel I am at last working on gaining some semblance of an orderly life. In any case, I gratefully enjoy the change in both the outer and inner light and warmth!
peace,
'Zann

4 Comments:

At 2/8/06, 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spinning from silk hankies is remarkably easy as long as you remember one really important thing:

Attenuation span is REALLY long!! Silk is a strong fiber, and even in hanky form is a relatively continuous one. Try an attenuation span of 24 inches or more. If the drafting isn't coming easy, try giving it a longer attenuation spread.

A couple of other helpful hints:

Choose a day when your hands are smooth and the weather is dry, at least for your first experience with it. The fine fibers of the silk like to catch on every little hangnail and it can be quite frustrating. If the weather (or your hands) is damp, the silk can start to matt.

Victorian ladies who worked with silk embroidery had a couple of tricks for keeping their hands cool and free from sweat: they would keep either a bowl of cool water nearby to dip their hands into followed by drying with a clean towel, or they would keep a fist-sized smooth stone at hand which they could hold to cool their hands.

Hugs from your Secret Pal!

 
At 2/8/06, 5:38 PM, Blogger 'Zann said...

{{{{Secret Pal}}}}}} What a nice surprise! And thanks for the tips on the silk hankies.
peace,
'zann

 
At 2/9/06, 12:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

sooo many goodies in your blog!

 
At 2/10/06, 7:42 PM, Blogger Carol Dean Sharpe said...

I can't get over how like cabbage leaves the hankies look. They're beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home