Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Jan 24, 2006

ILL :-P

Alas, I've been ill and sofa-ridden for days this past week. Just a cold, but asthma is always lurking around so had to up the meds for that and try to stay quiet and calm. I didn't even feel like knitting for the first 2-3 days, and Inclination to Knit is probably as good as anything in assessing the seriousness of an illness for me.

On the other hand, I did sit and spin a bit each day, and am now plying 4 oz. of the Blue Face Leicester. I've been spinning bulky thick-thin singles for a long time now, and I'd almost forgotten how much I enjoy seeing the results as two finer yarns twine together in the plying process, especially when it's a random spinning of a multicolored roving.

I finished my Clapotis just before I fell ill!
Here it is, fresh off the needles and not blocked in the slightest. Remember, this is a narrower version as I didn't have the amount of yarn called for in the pattern, it's about 15" rather than the 21" in the original. The original skirts the boundaries between shawl and scarf, whereas mine is definitely in scarf-land.

It is not blocked for two reasons.

The first reason is that I really like how it looks at first glance like an ordinary ribbed scarf, but then you see the ribs are kind of swirling to the side, and....oooh, what's that peeking through, a ladder of dropped stitches? It has a sort of lively effect, a scarf with stuff going on. And it feels lively, too.
And the other reason it's not blocked in the slightest is that I usually block only by steam ironing pieces and this is what my ironing board looks like right now:
'Nuff said.

1 Comments:

At 1/26/06, 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your feeling a bit better.

The Clapotis looks beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home