Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Oct 29, 2006

Freeform Crochet Necklaces




I promised some pictures, didn't I?
Can't decide what to call these -- necklaces, collars or neckpieces.
All made with Noro Kureyon and a 3.5 or 4 mm crochet hook.
No pattern, just a general idea of the shape. Stitches used are mostly sc and hdc with bullions thrown in willy-nilly.
I've posted these in the order that I made them.

There is a design evolution here which you probably can't make out, but I think it might be interesting to relate. The top one was originally made in one piece starting with the left motif in oranges and yellows. I worked my way to the skinnier around-the-neck part and down on the other side, widening out, intending to have it fasten together at the front. I didn't like any of the ways I thought of to connect the two sides. So I very boldly cut into the work and unraveled just enough to make a loop on one end and finish off the other cut end where I sewed a button. This was good for me to do for a lot of reasons, not just to finish this piece.

The middle piece was created in two pieces, again starting at the big motif you see on the left side and traveling up to where it would fasten. I started the second piece at that point and worked to the ending motif on the right and joined the two halves together there by stitching them together. Then I made the fastening loop and sewed on the button. I wasn't particularly pleased with sewing the pieces together.

So....the blue/green piece on the bottom was made all in one piece, starting with the center back, coming down the left side, creating a large freeform area and going back up to meet the beginning part.

I had a lot of fun making these - they seemed to go quickly. I'd like to do more and perhaps incorporate some beads.

1 Comments:

At 11/1/06, 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love the colours you've chosen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home