Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Mar 2, 2006

Hat for Spring Dreaming in Elven Woods

hat for spring dreaming in elven woods
2006, wool, mohair, microfiber, viscose, acrylic, nylon, polyester yarns, knitted & crocheted


Hat ingredients
from bottom, clockwise: Filatura di Crossa BUFFO, Classic Elite CALLIOPE, Jo-Ann Sensations COSETTA, Adriafil BAROQUE

Using novelty-type yarns with synthetic content like most of the above is...well, a novelty for me. There is enough wool and mohair in the yarns to mitigate my fiber snobbery though. Recently, at Jo-Ann Fabrics, I discovered that there were some of the inexpensive Jo-Ann yarns with good wool content that I liked and I'm having a great time combining them with the more pricey yarns.

Here is my current 'on the hook' hat, two of the three yarns are from Jo-Ann and appeared first in the hat posted in my last entry -- same skeins! and the third yarn is Calliope, the very same ball has added some to all of the hats I've done so far.

Often I don't think I have a good color combining eye, but with these hats I feel like something is different, that maybe over the last few months my eye has learned something new. I think it may be because I am becoming more free and a bit bolder and because I make a regular practice of searching out the work of others (not just fiber others) to enjoy and admire.

I'll take a moment here to thank my friend Margot for sending me URLs whenever she comes across interesting art - fine, whimsical, cute, funky, fiber, paint, needlework, photography - a great variety. Thank you, Margot!!! Here's the latest one she shared: fibrelog. And once she sent me this gallery site.

And while I'm sharing, I've added a site to my sidebar listing of 'art/inspiration' - the work of Diana Lynn Thompson is... spirit food...
'zann

1 Comments:

At 3/2/06, 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Zann, for putting up with me sending you all those urls. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home