Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Sep 18, 2005

Aurora Angels

I have long been fascinated with the Northern Lights - viewing photographs of them just fills me with a sense of magic and wonder and mystery and hope and longing and awe. Lines come to me from the Wordsworth poem "Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood"
"There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,
The earth, and every common sight,
To me did seem
Apparelled in celestial light,
The glory and the freshness of a dream..."

and
"...Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Start,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!"

Right now, there are major solar flares and the Aurora is very active. You can see some glorious pictures in the September 2005 Aurora Gallery
at spaceweather.com. Look around on that site for previous years' galleries.

I had the profound pleasure of actually seeing Northern Lights here one year! Right in my backyard in the middle of light-saturated skies of Terre Haute. It was extraordinary - one of the reddish auroras, and, to bring this back to fiber, I thought it looked like a teased out roving set across the northern sky.

Which brings me to my Aurora Angels....for years, I've made angels of white roving, hung them in my car, around the house, given them for gifts. I've always thought that angelic beings were rendered well in the medium of unspunwool - ethereal, airy, spirit wisps....
Recently I decided to make some of dyed roving (again Deb Brandt's Dudleyspinner creation), and oh my, the outcome was Aurora Angels:


































2 Comments:

At 9/21/05, 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are gorgeous!

--molly

 
At 9/21/05, 11:01 PM, Blogger Dudleyspinner said...

Zann you come up with the most creative ideas! I am inspired!
Deb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home