Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Jan 26, 2012

Very Winter



It’s very, very Winter for me.

Not in the temperatures or the winter weather department, for it’s mild so far this year (and somewhat creepily so.) But in my body and spirit, it’s definitely Winter.   If Winter means:
turning inward
feeling drowsy
moving slowly


My looms are as bare as the branches.




I’m okay with this, although it’s taken me some time to be okay and not feel guilty. I planned this season for retreat and restoration. I decline outside commitments.  But I forgot to decline inside commitments.

Last week I realized I had saddled myself with a huge number of goals and deadlines, and creative plans.
I let them go.

In the spirit of retreat, rest, restoration, in the spirit of Intention (my word this year), I let them go.
And I breathed a breath that came easily and felt a great pressure fall away from my spirit.

I've also realized I may well be suffering from the lack of Light--one of those d'oh, slap-your-forehead realizations. In years past I have spent my winter mornings at the computer bathed in the glow of a Verilux "happy light."

I don't know why it didn't occur to me this year, except that I've been working mostly from my Big Chair in the living room (which gets little natural light until late in the day) and the room I used to write in where the lamp sits was beginning to look like a hoarder's lair.

So I waded in and cleaned it up moved things around a bit and have worked with the lamp on each morning this week. I definitely feel more lively and hopeful, less like I'm trying to move through mud. I've even been visited with a bout of whimsy and named the Verilux: she's my new bff, Luminella.

I will end this post with a Winter Tip.

If you HATE static shocks, this tip is for you.
Carry a spoon around in your pocket or keep one handy. You can use it to discharge the build-up without having that awful anticipatory dance of fingers against things you know will give you a jolt, those moments of steeling yourself for the zap.  Because there is  NO zap to your tender skin when discharging the build-up through the spoon.

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking you're thinking, why does it have to be a spoon? And I don't think it does.  But the spoon works for me and I love it, so I'm sticking with it.

I suspect I'm going to name it soon.


)O(

2 Comments:

At 1/27/12, 3:37 PM, Anonymous Noreen Crone-Findlay said...

First of all, my deep condolences on the passing of your brother in law. It is a painful thing to loose a sibling, so I send you huge hugs.
And, I am so glad that your doggylove is home again- that's grim to live through her missing-ness! Again, more hugs....
and I immediately think, when I see your spoon... oooh... that spoon could become a magic wand, or a doll or or or... as well as a shock absorber! LOL
Big hugs, and many of them!

 
At 1/27/12, 4:52 PM, Blogger 'Zann said...

Thank you for the hugs and condolences, Noreen. Your friendship means the world to me. I'm so grateful for the Wise Women in my life and you're one of them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home