Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Oct 26, 2008

Poetry Reading - How it went

This picture is the only picture I took - when I first arrived. There was just no way I was going to be able to play photographer and still do the three things I needed to do: mc the reading, read for 15 minutes, and enjoy the poetry of others. So this is the only picture of that reading that you'll get.

If I had been able to take pictures, you would have seen that for most of the time it was standing room only and most of the attention was focused on the performances. We had 10 people sign up for the open reading and many listeners. And ALL the poetry was alive and meaningful (I never use "good" and "bad" to describe poetry, but prefer Anne Sexton's choice of "alive" or "dead." ) and we had men and women, young and older (our age range was 17 to 60.)

Sarah and I were very happy -- we planned a reading and people came! Lots of people asked if (and hoped that) poetry readings would become regular. I believe they will.

Namaste,
Zann

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10/27/08, 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that description of poetry as being "alive and meaningful", or "dead". I've never heard that before and definitely think it's an improvement on good or bad. I think it's fabulous that poetry readings are still around. Thanks for your info on it. BTW - I also love your noro mitts in the latest post. Gorgeous photo of the yarn too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home