Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Sep 25, 2008

Adventure

Well, maybe adventure isn't quite the right word....have just had an appendectomy! It all happened so fast I'm still trying to process it. Woke up at 1:00 a.m. Wednesday morning with abdominal pain that felt odd -- not bad at first, but different from any tummy pains I've had in the past. As it worsened and coalesced on the lower right, I just knew it could very likely be appendicitis.

So by 9 a.m. I was filling out papers in the ER.

Good thing, too. It was early enough that some of the typical symptoms (fever, nausea, high white cell count ) weren't present. The pain got worse and worse though, and my temperature did start to rise. After ruling out other possibilities, I had a CAT scan and within an hour of that I was headed for surgery. Good-bye appendix!

One sort of funny thing - I had an appointment that afternoon with Stephanie, for a regular foot reflexology massage. Stephanie is also a doula. As I was drinking the first of 6 massive cups of contrast solution for the CAT scan (a drinking binge that stretches out over 3 hours), I called Stephanie to cancel my appointment. I jokingly said it would be nice if she could be my appendix doula.

As I was starting on Cup #3, Stephanie arrived in my ER cubicle and proceeded to massage my feet for the duration, and bless her heart, she stepped right in and acted as an advocate, asked questions I was too anxious (and possibly too medicated) to think of asking. Paul arrived shortly after Stephanie did and I think he appreciated her presence as well. And one of the nurses asked for her card.

I spent a night in the hospital and came home around noon today. All in all, I am doing very well, though have little stamina and find myself quite easily exhausted.

So for now, the Joyful Juggler has to put down the balls and rest awhile.

3 Comments:

At 9/26/08, 10:11 AM, Blogger Meg_L said...

oh Zann, I'm happy everything turned out alright.

Hey, say hi to Stephanie for me, I've lost her card and she's been on my mind lately. Please tell her that Pat is suppose to be in Indy next year for a seminar.

 
At 9/26/08, 5:21 PM, Blogger Linda Sue said...

OUCH! But the drugs are great...Been missing you! Patrick patricked me the other day on a doggie walk..I bent down to get a very shiney stone- but it was....A FEATHER! I laughed out loud and said "good one, Cutie"..Get better quick! I send my love.

 
At 10/6/08, 9:56 AM, Blogger Teresa said...

I hope you are doing well since surgery. I'm sure that didn't fit into your schedule but slowing down for a few days isn't a bad thing either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home