Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Jan 17, 2006

SIPs (Socks in Progress)

I can hardly wait to wear these socks - these are Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride worsted in Wild Violet with accents in Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Carrot. The Wild Violet is a color that absolutely perfectly plugs into the purple receptors in my soul. I am going to stock up on this color for sure. I already have it in both the worsted and bulky. There's another new Brown Sheep color that goes quite nicely with the Wild Violet - Pistachio, a pale green. I am seeing a Wild Violet hat with Pistachio accents. Can I write Wild Violet one more time? Even the name is a delight to me!
I have also finished one of the socks in the Cascade 220 dark pink and light orange. Cascade colors have numbers, not evocative names.

Not sure if I ever posted this Noro Iro scarf - I bought a couple of skeins on eBay at a very good price, just to use to play with the yarn, make a few different swatches, etc. I did that, then used the remainder to make a scarf, finished mid-December, I think. It's nice and long and I do love this yarn, kind of bulky, a combination wool (80%) and silk (20%):
A while back, I couldn't resist picking up a couple of skeins of this alpaca:

I haven't yet decided what to knit with it, but there's something special about knowing not only the person who raised the alpaca (Jane Connor who used to direct the Terre Haute Children's Choir my daughter sang with one year), but having a picture of the actual alpaca who grew the fiber himself.

Gloomy and gray and rainy for the first half of the day and now it's snowing. Clover is snoozing nearby. While I felt rather low (due to light-deprivation more than anything else, I think) earlier, I have eaten lentil soup and rosemary bread and eaten chocolate cookies, and my mood is looking up a bit. Snow is an improvement over the rain, too. I think I am ready to turn the heel on that second Wild Violet sock...

4 Comments:

At 1/18/06, 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the 'Wild Violet' too! I'm still working at quad needles. Haven't quite got it down yet. I know there is a good tutorial over at the site with the DNA child's knitted toy/model.

Your hair looks very lovely. :)

 
At 1/18/06, 5:22 PM, Blogger 'Zann said...

Thank you, Peggy! I learned to knit on double-point needles with the children's book Sunny's Mittens by Robin Hansen. I couldn't believe how easy it was to learn the technique that way. Of course, you'll have little use for mittens in AZ...
'Zann

 
At 1/18/06, 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just looked that book up, it looks cute I'll try to get it sometime. It does get cold here too. Especially up on top of the mountains, or sky islands as they are sometimes called.

Peggy

 
At 1/19/06, 6:54 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

oooohhh! Alpaca! What a lucky lady you are! My sister went traveling to Bolivia a few years ago and sent me some lovely alpaca shawls. She was going to pick me up some yarn but decided to do it after she had climbed the mountain that she had gone to climb. When she got back to thew village, it was all gone. I like the localness of your alpaca, comlpete with blue ribbon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home