Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

May 27, 2010

Mangos For Breakfast

It's up! This year's online show for the 2010 International Freeform Crochet Guild is now live and it's glorious.  The theme is "Somewhere In My World."

My piece is a wrap called Mangos for Breakfast By the Startling Bougainvillea,
Take a look at my page, then go see everyone's! The starting page for the exhibit is at:
http://www.freeformcrochet.com/2010/Pages/main.html
You can take a look at the shows from years past through the main page at:
http://www.freeformcrochet.com

And here are more pictures of Mangos....
 ....this, above, as a work-in-progress. While I worked mostly in my basement studio space, there were days when I was able to work in bliss out on the back screened-in porch.  For the weaving-in of ends, I did that somewhat tedious task in the convivial atmosphere of RiverWools. 

And there are LOTS of ends in my freeform pieces.  I'd work them in as I go and I do a little bit of that, but I really like to have the option to use the ends for surface embellishment that pulls the piece together.  I even leave ends longer to facilitate that.  Often it's not clear how or if the ends will be used until I'm nearing the completion of the work.  So I always wind up with dozens of ends to do something with at the very last.

Some detail pictures:




and the wrap wrapping:




Bliss.

----------
A little more bliss: the arrival last week of the May/June issue of Handwoven with a picture of my winning piece, "Motley." What an amazing feeling to see my work in a national weaving magazine! And to be in such good company. I say a big thanks to Interweave and Halcyon Yarn for sponsoring the contest, and to the Universe that keeps me going on this fiber journey.
Namaste!

8 Comments:

At 5/27/10, 4:35 PM, Blogger Diana Troldahl said...

STUNNING!!!
I am in love with your technique of integrating woven shapes, and adding embellishment with the tail ends.
Your blog is so inspiring!

 
At 5/28/10, 11:41 AM, Anonymous Susan Italo said...

This is beautiful-- what an interesting, textural technique you've got going here-- keep "blissing" out!

 
At 5/30/10, 3:53 PM, Anonymous Carol said...

Your work is so gorgeous. I'm in awe of your artistry.

 
At 5/31/10, 12:17 AM, Blogger Blossom Vydrina said...

That is beautiful. The first couple pictures, I thought it was just pretty colors. But the shots of it on you, it's gorgeous!

 
At 7/1/10, 12:45 PM, Blogger Yoshta said...

I love these. Nice work! Thanks so much!

 
At 8/7/10, 3:29 PM, Anonymous anne frederique ferret said...

mais comme c'est beau... bravo!

 
At 9/11/10, 2:37 PM, Anonymous christine said...

it's very beautiful !!! I don't speak english also ...
votre chale est magnifique et je trouve très intéressant de mêler le tissage et le crochet. Je me suis pris un métier à tisser mais simple de table pour tisser et mettre du freeform crochet dessus.
bravo !!!

 
At 9/12/10, 2:34 PM, Blogger 'Zann said...

Merci, Christine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home