Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Dec 8, 2011

Poetry Ahead: John Lennon

John Lennon lived until December 8, 1980.
And what a gift to us was his work!




John Lennon Plastic Ono Band (with The Flux Fiddlers) - Imagine by Yoko Ono




I remember reading this book of his.
I still use phrases from it, like instead of saying I'm having a nervous breakdown, I say I'm having a nervous breadvan.

Maybe you had to read it, too.  Did you?

[edited to include this photo 'cause I think the nervous breadvan came out of In His Own Write ]



---------------------------
The night John Lennon died

we were in a meeting,
all the servers and busboys squeezed
into that big-party corner booth.
who said it?  Sam? the bartender?
I only remember looking up in horror
and how the only other horror-filled eyes
were yours,
how our gazes locked, tractor beams colliding,
drawing us back and forth into each other’s shock--
what was the meeting about?
I only remember us fiercely hugging after,
going for pancakes,
how bereft the world felt
how everywhere we wandered that night
his music played and played. 

                                           --Zann Carter

Published in Ides of March Journal June issue




)O(

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12/8/11, 3:17 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

On Dec. 8, 1980 I was living in the house on stilts in Mississippi. I remember how horrible it was. I was no doubt home alone with the four kids - ages 10 through 2. Thank you for the poem and the music and the memory. I never heard of his book though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home