Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Feb 12, 2013

"Enough" Work


As I slowly trickled my carefully measured 1 teaspoon of organic cane sugar into my chocolate pu’erh tea this morning, I watched the cascade of individual grains hitting the hot tea, sinking, dissolving. I stirred with my favorite spoon.
Sun lit the quivering surface of the tea and steam rose from it.
I remembered where I bought the pottery cup and what a good time I had there.
The moment seemed full and rich and I appreciated every grain of that sugar, my good fortune to be able to buy organic and the delicate, delicious pu’erh.

I stood in that moment and pondered the notion of abundance and sugar. How sugar is so bad for us because we consume too much of it. We do that because (for a lot of us) sugar tastes so good and makes us feel so good (for awhile) and it is so available to us.

Abundance makes it easy to sugar up. Abundance leads to taking things for granted, to over-consumption. To boredom. And at worst, a bloated, vaguely dissatisfied satiety.

What if, instead of “abundance” work, we did “enough” work?

My yarn stash would be much smaller.
My library would have far less books.
There might even be less of me.

Less of me is what I am working on again. I need to lose weight I regained in the last couple of years.
“Enough” work might be helpful in the endeavor.

Just enough food to nourish my body. Just enough exercise to burn extra calories.
Sounds like a plan to me.

Wish me luck. And just enough.



2 Comments:

At 2/13/13, 12:41 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Zann, I wish you luck!

 
At 2/13/13, 4:49 PM, Blogger 'Zann said...

Thank you, Kris! I've tried and tried to get back into my food diary, measuring routine and this time it seems to be sticking! Yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home