Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

Jun 11, 2007

More Random Lace

Here are two finished projects in the Random Lace technique I learned from Kiki's tutorial.
Right now I'm trying to work in lighter,summery fibers.
This is a scarf done in the same Sockotta sock yarn I for one of the swatches I showed a few posts ago. I did this lengthwise, cast on 160 stitches, which was really a bit too many. The scarf is looooooooonnnnnnnng. Hence the wrap around the neck. I have another on the needles, with 120 stitches. Again, I didn't block this, but used the steam iron.
Here's a detail of the edges.
Along the sides, I crocheted a border in hdc. For the bottom edges, little shells



And here, a whole shawl, rather the shape of the Isis shawl, in Jaeger Trinity in a blue they call Cobalt. The fiber is 40% silk, 35% Cotton, 25% polyamide, and has some nice texture to it. It's very light. I'm used to heavier wool or cotton shawls and it feels quite odd to me to wear something you can barely feel.

What was pretty exciting is that it used only about 2.5 balls of the yarn, which is an inexpensive yarn to start with, about $8 for a 50g, 220 yard ball.

In the body of the shawl I did two sections of about 3-4 rows in stockinette, one of which rather sticks out in the above photo. I did that to kind of start over in the lace, see where I was. This was truly random, without an iota of forethought or concern about which way the decreases leaned, and only passing attention to keeping the number of stitches the same in each part of the shawl between the increases (4 increases every other row: 1 after the first three stitches, and 1 about 1/4 of the way along the row, 1 when there's 1/4th of the stitches left, and 1 before the last 3 stitches - hope that makes some sense.)

As a result of the randomness, there is some asymmetry in the whole - now this is something I like about random lace. If you're not a person that would like that, you could modify the randomness by keeping careful count of the number of stitches and by paying more attention to the way the decreases lean.

In this shawl, the asymmetry is felt more than it is seen. When you put it on. you are aware that the sides aren't just perfectly the same.

Here's a detail of the edging --
I used a Nicky Epstein edging and I'll be darned if I can find it again, and I can't remember the name! I think it was some kind of picot...in any case, I really thought the loopy, uneven-looking edging went well with the random lace.

I did soak this and dry it after these pictures were taken, but I decided not to block it, just stretched it a bit with my fingers.

I have a couple more Random Lace pieces on the needles, and I have used it within other projects, including another shawl I hope to finish and post about soon.
Off to the dentist.
ugh.
I shall design things in my head while all that stuff is going on in my mouth.
'zann

1 Comments:

At 6/12/07, 2:52 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

Those are beautiful! Random Lace! Who knew!?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home