Lizards in the Leaves

Rustlings in the green....imagination, art, whimsy

May 2, 2017

Small Dyeing -Turmeric root results


 I love this fabric, harvested from a thrift shop garment. This is the only example of 'before and after', because I forgot to take pictures before the dye pot.




Pieces cut from vintage cotton sheets bought at yard sales.  

The only bought-new cloth. Unbleached cheesecloth.

I like the general mottled effect. This from stuffing the cloth into the mason jars rather willy-nilly, so color did not reach all parts evenly.  I am also much happier with the results of using the root + alum, as opposed to the times I've used ground turmeric/no mordant at all. In that case, the color was an almost fluorescent yellow, garish. This is bright, but tempered a bit.

After I filled the mason jars with the dye water, roots and cloth, I had some roots left over. So I took a larger square of the yard sale sheet cotton and  randomly laid the roots on the cloth and made a bundle (which of course, I forgot to take a picture of) which I steamed for about 30 minutes and then set outside.
I left everything, mason jars and bundle, for about 48 hours, before opening things up. All went into a salt + water bath, then a good rinse. Air-dried and ironed. I didn't iron the cheesecloth.

Here is the result of the root bundle. Look at the nice burnt orange marks! 

 Side 1 - outside of bundle




Side 2 - inside of bundle

Overall, I am really pleased with the results.
Small dyeing.
It suits me.


2 Comments:

At 5/3/17, 8:39 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I used tumeric once, the powdered variety, to die some cheese cloth that I made dollhouse curtains with.

Really like your bundled tumeric root results.

 
At 5/3/17, 9:43 PM, Blogger 'Zann said...

I am pleased with it and am going to do more bundles soon - with various flowers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home